Friday 16 September 2011

Self-Expressionism

In rebellious youth there comes a time where a decision needs to be made. Not about the clothes we wear or the ridiculous haircuts we admire. Not about the trends we follow or the crew we hang out with. Not about our stance on the world or our political views, but rather about whether permanently branding our bodies, is as good of an idea as we currently perceive. I am presently one of these rebellious youths. So, yes, Tattoos are the branding topic of this week’s blog. 
Upon first thought there doesn’t seem to be much to getting a tattoo. All I have to do is pick a picture I like, book an appointment and tada, one hard core tattoo on one hard core rebellion. So that’s what I did, or rather what I attempted to do. My researches nature took over and before I knew it I was drowning in the possibilities of design after design. Confusion had sprung to say the least. If picking a design wasn’t hard enough your guilty conscience sneaks up on you in the form of your mother’s voice. Her wise words echo in your mind almost asserting that this is a bad idea.
I was at the verge of running away from this “ludicrous” notion when I found the beauty within it. Like, did you know that tattoos have been around for centuries and that they are completely universal?  "I shall now mention the way they mark themselves indelibly, each of them is so marked by their humor or disposition".This was recorded in 1769 by a naturalist and is the first written record of tattoos. This Statement was written in reference to a Māori man who is now seen as a historical piece of art.



Tattoos are a part of our history. They set us as humans apart as individuals. They are works of art. They are a creation of our imagination and most importantly they are a form of self-expression. The images below are a visual explanation of tattoos throughout history and culture.
















During my tattooed discovery I’ve formed an opinion that tattoos are a personal from of self-expression. My advice for any fellow rebellions is to: Research all the facts before hand, know what you want and where you want it, get a tattoo for yourself not anyone else and most importantly indulge in your self-expression.